Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Guemes



Last Weekend, Meg, Jess and I, went with all the Wallaces (10 of them) to their beach house on Guemes Island. It is kind of in the San Juans but really just a 5 min ferry from Anacortes. We had a great time, crabbing, boating, kayaking, eating, drinking and having a great camp fire with 1/2 of the Stoutpounders on Sat. night. I got some good pics- it is nice to have some new subjects for my camera, my family doesn't want me around with the cam anymore. We all had a lot of fun and we need to hang out with these guys more.

Joe went with the boy scouts to a model rocketfest near Port Townsend. He said it was awesome and Jess totally missed out.

I took last Friday off and got up early for a solo river kayak ride on the Green River. It was a little complicated. I drove up river south of Auburn and ditched my kayak in the woods. I then drove down river and parked my van north of Kent. Then I rode my bike back to the kayak up river. I locked my bike to a tree and then kayaked 13 miles downstream. It was fairly flat water but I had a few minor rapids. I can't handle too much because it is really a flatwater kayak. After 3 hours of kayaking I ended up at my van by the Riverbend golf course. I then drove to pick up my bike and went home. It was about noon and I talked Joe to going to Riverbend for a quick round at the pitch and putt. We were parched afterwards so we had some drinks and an appetizer lunch at the golf course. We were still hot so we went back to the green river and swam in the best swimming hole that I found when I was kayaking in the morning. Finally we came home and finished packing for our weekend. I am going to try to do a lot more river kayaking...

Next weekend is Labor day at the beach! All the Nylands will be there and we are hoping for good weather. The boys are ready for school which starts on Thursday. Jess is a mentor for the freshman so he has been spending a lot of time at the school helping the school get ready for the first day.
Our September weekends are all filled up already but the only thing we have scheduled for October is our trip to New Orleans. We have to keep weekends open for the grape crush.

No comments: